Thursday, October 20, 2011

Kielbasa and Zucchini Stoup.... mmmmmmmm!



I'm baaaaaaaaack!

For my first post in FOREVER, I bring you Kielbasa and Zucchini Stoup!

This soup was inspired by a Rachael Ray recipe. My changes: no mushrooms, add kielbasa, nix the breadcrumbs, add garlic bread!

This soup is seriously, my FAVORITE soup! I. LOVE. IT.
I love that:
It has kielbasa, its a little spicy, it makes great leftovers, and its so easy/fast to make!
The instructions looks long, but I promise it wont take longer than 30mins.

So here it is!

Whatcha need:
Kielbasa (I get the turkey kind... don't tell Charlie!)
Zucchini (4 or 5)
White onion
Garlic (2-3 cloves)
grape tomatoes (1 pint)
Chicken stock (low fat, low sodium)

Thyme (dried or fresh)
Basil or Oregano (I used basil because I was out of oregano)
Parsley (dried or fresh)
Salt & Pepper
Hot Sauce or Chili powder

Watcha do:
- Cut kielbasa into 1/2 wide coins
- In a large soup pot add enough Olive Oil to well cover the bottom of the pot
- When the oil is hot, add the kielbasa
- While its cooking, stir every minute or two and cut the vegetables... cut zucchini in half, lengthwise then in 1/2 inch pieces. Cut the onion into large-ish pieces, whatever you would be happy eating in your soup. Cut up the garlic very small.
- When kielbasa is slightly browned, remove onto a plate. Leave the oil in the pot!
- Add all of the cut vegetables to the oil... stir, to coat everything. Add a pinch or two of salt, some pepper, thyme and oregano.
- Stir every so often until everything is slightly browned.
- Add tomatoes. Cover and leave it alone for about 5 minutes.
- Rachael says the the tomatoes will burst. Maybe I'm not patient enough, but I've never seen them burst. I pop them with a potato masher (careful, they splash sometimes).
- Now all you have to do is add the chicken stock and let it heat up. (I used a small carton and a half, it depends on how much zucchini you used.)
- Once its how, add chili powder or hot sauce to taste.
- Serve with grated parmesan and garlic bread!

Sorry about only the last picture... when I find my camera I'll add some more pictures.

Good Luck!
Serena Lynn.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! That's what we're having tonight, only with chicken sausage (cause that's all I've got!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, chicken sausage would make it even healthier!

    ReplyDelete